This article helps our Volunteer Squad keep the database clean and consistent! It pertains to members who have the Contributor role and above. If you're interested in getting involved, read more about joining the Squad here. We'd love to have you aboard!
The Manage Database Items page is one of our most powerful tools, helping Volunteer Squad members find Database Items that are missing data or otherwise need work. Because Manage Database Items is such a powerful tool, it's also somewhat complex, so this article is a detailed explanation of all the options available. If you have any questions please reach out via the green "Contact hobbyDB" button on the right.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
You can access Manage Database Items from anywhere on hobbyDB. Just open the Curation menu at the top of the page, then click Manage Database Items.
When you first access the page it will show a table listing the most recently added Database Items. Filters (more info below) can be used to narrow down the items listed. Each row is an individual Database Item, and the table has several columns showing details about each item:
- Selection Toggle - Each row has a gray toggle slider, allowing you to select multiple items to perform a Batch Action on (more on Batch Actions below). Clicking the slider in the header row will select all items on the current page.
- Id1 shows the HDBID for each item. Database Items each have a unique HDBID and it can be used to quickly find a specific database entry.
- Main Photo shows the item's Main Photo.
- Name1 shows the Item Name.
- Estimated Value1 shows each item's Estimated Value, or a link to add a User Estimated Value if the item doesn't yet have an EV.
- Variants count - Subvariants count shows the item's number of Variants and Subvariants. Clicking either of those numbers will set the filters to only show the Variants or Subvariants of that item.
- Database Item Type links to a search showing all items that share the specified Database Item Type.
- Brand, Series, Related Subjects lists (in that order) all the Subjects associated with the item.
- Search Fields shows other miscellaneous information about the item that are treated as search keywords.
- The last column shows a link to Edit Database Item Type. This functionality is only available to Squad members with the Champion role and above.
1 Clicking this header will sort the table by the data in that column.
By default, 30 items are shown at a time. At the bottom of the page there is a drop-down menu to change the setting to show anywhere from 5 to 50 items per page. You can also navigate between pages and see how many total items match the current combination of filters and scope.
Scopes are a quick way to find Database Items that need work. At the top of the Manage Database Items page you will see a silver bar with four buttons — All, No Images, No Estimated Value, and No Upc. Clicking one of these Scope buttons will limit the items displayed to ones matching that criteria, preserving any filters that are set. This is a great way to quickly find things you can help with that make a big impact, and find items to work on as part of a Quest.
There are many filter options in a column on the right side of the Manage Database Items page to help you find the exact items you're looking for.
You can use multiple filters at once to narrow down the results. When you are ready to apply the filters, click the blue Filter button at the bottom of the filter list, or press the return/enter key with one of the text filters selected.
If filters have already been set, you will see this box above the filter list:
Clicking the blue Clear Filters button will reset all filters to their default state for a fresh search.
- All Keywords returns results just like the main database search, finding the text you enter among all the items' keywords.
- Name Only2 filters by the Item Name. The Alternative Name is not included in this search.
- Description Only2 finds text in item descriptions.
- Brand filters by Subjects (Brand type only) that are in Database Items' "Brand" field. Type the name of the Brand you're looking for and any Brands containing the name entered will show in the list.
- Series functions the same as the Brand filter, but instead finds Subjects (Series type only) in Database Items' "Series" field.
- Related Subjects filters by Subjects in Database Items' "Related Subjects" field. All Subject types will display in this filter.
- Autographed By filters by Subjects in Database Items' "Autographed By" field.
- Production Status2 finds items with a Production Status matching the text entered.
- Scale is a drop-down menu with all the scale options available for Database Items. The scale is also shown in the "Search Fields" column.
- Database Item Type is a searchable menu where you can select one of the many Database Item Types.
- Have Release Date is a drop-down menu with the option to select "Any" (default), "Yes", or "No".
- HDBID3 finds specific items based on their unique hobbyDB Identifier number.
- Master Subvariant3 finds items connected as Subvariants to the item with the HDBID entered (must be the Subvariant set as Master Subvariant)
- Added By filters by the username of the Squad Member who created the items.
- Last Verified By will show all items that were most recently verified by the selected Curator.
- Ever Revised By will show all items that have ever been edited by the selected user.
- Ever Verified will only show items that have been verified at some point if set to "Yes", only show items that have never been verified if set to "No". The default option is "All", which shows item regardless of their verification status.
- Subvariant Title2 finds items where the Subvariant Title matches the text entered.
- Created At is a date filter with From and To fields to find Database Items that were added within the specified date range. Clicking in one of the fields will bring up a date picker with a calendar that can be clicked to set the date, or a date can be manually entered in the format YYYY-MM-DD.
- Updated At functions the same as "Created At" above, but finds items that were last edited within the specified date range.
2 This filter has options in a drop-down menu to specify if the field being filtered Contains (default), Equals, Starts with, or Ends with the filter term.
3 This filter has options in a drop-down menu to specify if the filter results should include results that Equals (default), are Greater Than, or are Less Than the number entered.
As mentioned above, each row (Database Item) has a gray toggle slider in its first column. Clicking one of these toggles will "slide" the switch to the right, its background will turn green, and the row will be highlighted a light yellow, all indicating that the item has been selected for Batch Actions. Clicking the toggle slider in the header row at the top of the table will select all items shown on the current page.
To perform a Batch Action, click the blue Batch Actions button above the table, then click the action you want to perform. The actions displayed here will depend on your Squad role.
Note: It may take a few minutes for the Batch Actions to process.
Each Batch Action is described below:
- Create Variants (Creator and above) - Link the selected items as Variants. Any number of items can be selected.
- Create Subvariants (Creator and above) - Link the selected items as Subvariants.
Note: More details on how to link Variants and Subvariants can be found here.
- Merge (Coordinator only) - Select two items that are duplicates to merge them. Merging items is irreversible, so please read the help page on merging items before performing this action.
- Unlink Variants (Creator and above) - Break the Variant connection between the selected items.
- Unlink Subvariants (Creator and above) - Break the Subvariant connection between the selected items. This does not break Variant connections.