It is extremely important to us to keep the hobbyDB Price Guide as accurate as possible. We have developed some rules for which potential Price Points should be added.
This article focuses on the quality of Price Points. To learn what types of Price Points we use, click here.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Always Do This
- Look at the original sale listing, inspect each photo, and read the
- Verify that the sale was legitimate and that the transaction actually took place.
- Make sure that the item sold was mint or near-mint with all original accessories and packaging (sealed, if applicable). Minor shelf wear is usually acceptable.
- Consider "buyer's intent" — if the item is described as mint, the price the buyer is willing to pay is based on the expectation that they will receive it as advertised.
- Remain neutral. Approach pricing work without bias towards raising or lowering the Estimated Value of the item. Our goal is to accurately document the sales history of each item regardless or what direction the value is heading.
- Add as many Price Points as possible for each Database Item. Add all available Price Points from the source you're using (going back at least one month) as long as they meet our standards as described in this article.
- Make sure you add each Price Point to the correct Database item, including the correct Variant and Subvariant.
- Sales of items that are not mint or near-mint.
- Sales of items with missing or damaged packaging.
- Sales of lots (more than one item included in the sale, whether duplicates of the same item or different items).
- Sales of fake or counterfeit items.
- Any sale which can't be verified (such as sales on Facebook, Mercari, Amazon, etc.).
- Items sold by anyone on our Bad eBay Sellers list.
Price Points with stock photos are acceptable if the item is advertised by the seller as brand new and mint. The price buyers are willing to pay for items listed with stock photos is based on their expectation that they will receive the item as advertised.
Photos of the actual item sold are not required as long as the seller adequately described the item's condition. If photos are included, consider them part of the item description and make sure they don't show damage. Photos do not need to show all sides of the item.
Verifying Price Points
We rely on our Squad members to check each other's work, watching for mistakes and suspicious behavior. All members are encouraged to verify Price Points and flag any that don't meet our quality standards.
- If you find a Price Point that don't meet the standards described above, please flag it. All flags are reviewed by our staff or experienced Volunteer Squad member. If the flagged Price Point is determined to be invalid it will be removed.
- StockX Price Points are not removed unless they have been added to the wrong Database Item. Sellers at StockX send their item in to be inspected by experienced staff who verify the quality and legitimacy of every item sold on their site.
- hobbyDB Marketplace sales are automatically added as Price Points. Sales of items that don't meet our quality standards are added to the Price Guide as reference points, but they are not used in the Estimated Value calculation. hobbyDB Marketplace Price Points may be flagged if it appears the seller improperly marked the condition of the item as Mint or Excellent (near-mint).
- Be aware that eBay removes listings from their site 90 days after they have expired. An error page when clicking an eBay link in the Price Guide does not mean the Price Point needs to be removed.
- Feeling like the Estimated Value of the item is higher or lower than it should be is not an acceptable reason to flag a Price Point. Repeatedly flagging items with the intent to "correct" the Estimated Value may result in your ability to submit flags to be suspended.
- Please do not flag items to request that Price Points be added. We are a small team and don't have the capacity to respond to these requests, but we would love to invite you to join the Volunteer Squad so you can add new Price Points yourself! Let us know if you'd like to give it a try and we'll set you up!