A Variant, as we define it here on hobbyDB, is an item that is similar to another, but collectors have no problems seeing the difference and most of the time Brands regard them as separate products (different to Subvariants).
A few examples of Variants would be...
- A different edition of the same book.
- A model car from the same cast in a different color.
- A Staff and Non-Staff Pin
Here are a few rules of thumb to guide you while considering Variants -
- Generally it is to see the difference even on small images on a phone. If there are no official titles you can add the difference in the name (as in a XYZ Pin and a YZ Staff Pin).
- Variants can have different reference numbers or UPCs.
- Some items can have hundreds of variants. Take for example the infamous Hot Wheels Dairy Delivery.